In 1946 after World War II, there was a nationwide call for the expansion of medical training facilities to accommodate the many returning physicians who desired residency instruction.
In 1949, a recommendation was made to the White House to establish medical schools. Committees were appointed by the Shreveport Medical Society for the development of a medical school to oversee progress. Dr. Heinz Faludi, one of the first neurosurgerons in the area, was appointed to the Medical School Survey Committee, as well as Chairman of the Curriculum Committee. In September of 1969, LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport became the 101st medical school in the U.S.
The Division of Surgery appointed two neurosurgeons in 1968. Dr. Faludi was Associate Professor and Dr. Frederick Boykin an Assistant Professor. They were both also made Gratis Faculty, along with Dr. Loyd C. Megison, Jr., clinical instructor of surgery. Dr. Faludi was later appointed Professor Emeritus at LSU School of Medicine.
Dr. Megison went into private practice with Dr. Boykin at Schumpert Medical Center for 11 years and continued his teaching at LSU Medical Center. Dr. Megison died in an airplane crash on August 29, 1981 in Shreveport. His friend and partner, Dr. Boykin was Shreveport’s first trained neurosurgeon and he continued his medical practice until his retirement in 1990.